Sunday, April 01, 2007

Conference Chaos

Years ago when I was a missionary in the budding metropolis of Corning, CA (the olive capital of the United States). Soaking in another conference weekend in the chapel, I vowed then that I would attend every session of conference for the rest of my life.

Alas, any hopes of staying true to that promise ended a long time ago. Now, having two little ones, the notion of attending (and even paying attention to) a full session of general conference -- other than the priesthood session -- seems like wishful thinking. As a result over the last few years conference weekend has become a mix of probably uplifting messages that I only catch parts of (and not even those parts not very well) amid a guilt riddled two days where I feel I could've caught more if I'd only exerted myself more. My sense is it's even worse for Michelle -- who doesn't get to attend the priesthood session.

And here's a random conference question I've long been trying to figure out: When I'm watching conference on a delayed schedule, is it as sacreligious as it feels to leave my eyes open during the prayer?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaron,

I feel your pain. This last conference we went up to the in-laws (25 min away) to watch conference. We thought that maybe if they could play outside during conference that we might actually get to watch. Wishful thinking...

Anymore, my general conferences are in May and November...when it comes out in the Ensign and I can read it after the kids go to bed.

Anonymous said...

The real measuring stick for conference is not whether you hear them live, but whether you actually make the effort to read and think over the messages.

Jamin LeFave said...

You're not alone. I would have to echo what the other comments said. Thank goodness for the May edition of the Ensign.