Monday, March 26, 2007

Unsolicited Advice

I've discovered the secret to exercise and weight loss. It will soon be revealed to the world in a hard cover book, value priced at $19.95, complete with meal planner, easy to follow recipes, and a picture of me on the cover showing off my bulging biceps.

But to those faithful readers who still bother to check this blog -- even though it's been weeks since I've had a decent post -- I'll sum it up for you for free:

The stick often works better than the carrot on lazy people -- at least initially. Indeed, don't be afraid to use a big stick.

Take me, for instance. I've been in a rut for weeks (some might say months) where exercise has been difficult and good eating near impossible. I mostly blame Michelle.*

I've tried incentives, and at one point even small sticks. For instance, Michelle and I both agreed that if we ate sugar during the week, the offending spouse would have to withdraw $5 from his/her personal account and place it in the other's. This worked fine until we realized that if we both cheated at the same time we effectively got to have our sweets and neither had to give up anything. Obviously we can't have the penalty money going to each other.

So it was time to bring out a bigger stick. Now, if I cheat and eat sugar I have to put $50 in my children's 529 college saving's fund -- which means I'll never see it again. I've also made the same threats against myself (always in writing and always sent to Michelle) when I need a little extra motivation to exercise in the evening. And of course, it works.

Now some of you might not have $50, so feel free to use whatever is precious to you. It needs to be precious enough that it'll be painful if you fail, and make sure someone is there who is willing to punish you when you do (Michelle has only been all too eager). You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish when someone effectivley has a whip at your back, ready to lash you at the first sign of failure.

Obviously I don't want to jinx things, but I think you're looking at the next best seller.




*Required Disclaimer (as the pressure eases on the strangle hold around my neck): I'm kidding folks. Definitely kidding. Mostly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch it Love.....=)

Jamin LeFave said...

Do you have a mailing list to sign up for the book? I would like to order a copy. Are you doing limited signed prints of the cover photo as well? I know just the place for it in my living room. Good luck with the exercise. It never gets any easier.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to see Michelle in such a punitive role, since she is the model saint full of goodness, virtue, kindness, etc.