Saturday, September 02, 2006

Have it Your Way?

A few of my siblings recently visited after a grueling summer term at BYU. Near the top of their list of things to do while here was to visit our nearest In N Out and feast on a few burgers.

Now it's important to understand, only very rarely will one find finer hamburgers than what's offered at In N Out. It's possible, mind you, and they do exist, but usually at three times the price, and without the sleek simplicity of the In N Out packaging, or the tasty familiarity of those fresh tomatoes, toasted buns, and patties that are never frozen. The fries are a different story entirely.

My sisters understood this -- at least I thought they did. Then, before we made our way over there, they started asking questions about the sauce on the burgers. I didn't like their tone, and I told them as much. They didn't like the idea of "sauce" on burgers and winced at the idea that they might put too much on and that it might have mayonaisse in it.*

I rebuked them. One doesn't question the burgers at In N Out, which means one certainly doesn't question the sauce. One simply decides whether or not she wants the Double Double (or for my more gluttonous immediate family members -- the 4 x 4 or 6 x 6), and whether they want it "Animal Style." You leave the rest up to the highly trained professionals behind the counter. They'll take care of you.

But my sisters didn't listen. They order their burgers with sauce "on the side." I didn't catch the cashier's reaction at those words, but I'm pretty sure he shot back a few looks of disgust.

These same sisters still claimed they liked their burgers -- one even ridiculously claimed she was glad she didn't get the sauce (She's the kind who decided she wouldn't like the sauce no matter how it tasted...just to spite me. Even if she wasn't, that sauce isn't meant to be separted from the burger and tasted -- it's not meant to be a stand alone condiment!). I could only look on them regretfully as they ate -- thinking of the eating experience they might have had.

I'm not sure those girls will be invited back.

*Clarks hate mayonaisse. I do have a rogue sister, though, (and an occasionally rebellious wife) who like to put it in tuna fish and then put that concoction, with celery and onions, between two slices of bread and then call that a sandwich. Right now, I can't think of anything more disgusting. So a little advice: if you ever plan on visiting, leave the potato salad at home please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No! If you plan on visiting, DO bring the potato salad, chicken salad, or whatever since I NEVER get to eat it around here. It doesn't even taste like mayonnaise when it is in stuff.....

Living My Life in Organized Chaos said...

I love how I am the rogue sister now. I knew that you were speaking of me, since I am the only one that eats tuna in the immediate family. I must admit that I am not the big fan of mayo, but in somethings very slightly it makes it taste better. I am with michelle bring on the salads and the the tuna.
On a side note, an IN and Out burger just isn't a burger without the sauce. It's as wrong as pizza without cheese, they are just meant to go together.