Monday, September 18, 2006

Desperate Times

Riding up the elevator to work today I noticed a .39 stamp lodged in one of the cracks on the floor of the elevator door. Our elevator stops on the 11th floor (which is the highest floor for the elevator) and several people got off before me. That gave me lots of opportunity to get a good, sharp look at the stamp. As we climbed to the 6th and 7th floor, an exciting thought entered my head: the stamp was folded in half, but appeared to be unused! No one else seemed to notice.

So as I reached the 11th floor, I bent over, picked up the stamp and examined it. There was no shame (and there was also no one watching). No markings on the stamp – how fortunate! I swiftly and proudly put the stamp in my pocket for safe keeping, and immediately began dreaming of what future letter I’d now be mailing for free. It’s the kind of good fortune one can only hope to find in sunny Southern California.

No comments: