Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Labor Day Car Wash

Things started out well enough on Labor Day. I slept in a little bit, then got up, read the scriptures, and went through my exercise routine.

Shortly after breakfast I decided to take Jared with me to clean the car, which I tell you now is a bad idea (unless you plan to leave your child strapped in the car seat). I had some notions of this when I decided to take him, but ignored them. Once there at the Do-It-Yourself Car Wash, Jared was momentarily entertained by the soap on the ground and on the car. After that wore off though, he was wandering all over the place, running from me when I called him, and generally doing all the deviant little things 19 month olds are known for. I ended up having to hold him in one arm, and spray or scrub with the other. This cost me precious seconds on the rinse and wax cycle, and probably $1.50 more than I'd intended to spend.

With that over, I thought it was safe enough to vacuum the car with his help. Maybe he'd even help, since he loves to play with the vacuum at home. On this point I was again disappointed, as he seemed much more inclined to find things he shouldn't be touching. I eventually had to do what any good father would do: I put him in the front passenger's seat to sit while I worked. (Actually, he crawled over things to get there and I just let him stay). That spot seemed safe enough. I again went about my business of taking out the floor mats and the car seat to start vacuuming.

Not long after, though, I looked back to find that my son had found a stash of pennies. This might have been enough by itself to cause concern, but Jared also had the ingenuity to stuff as many as he could into the CD player. How he knew to do this (and with so little time to work) I cannot say. He is an exceptional little boy.

Two days later, there are pennies lodged in our car CD player that I do not know how to get out. The pennies block CDs from being fully inserted, so the machine is, for the moment, non-functional. It was one of those moments I am experiencing all the more often these days where I am initially terribly frustrated with him, but that frustration quickly gives when on remembering how young and innocent he is. I'd like to think I'll get to the point someday where I am past even that initial feeling of frustration, but that may not come in this lifetime.

The day all but fell about from there, and by the evening time there was no stopping me from having that extra bowl of Cookies & Cream ice cream. Can you blame me?

No comments: