Saturday, September 10, 2005

All You Need to Know About Brownies

I was reminded again this afternoon for what makes for a proper brownie.

One needn't be concerned with lavish ingredients or mixes.* In fact, last night I used a Walmart brownie mix that was quite serviceable. The key to fully enjoying a brownie, instead, lies simply in letting them sit out overnight.

Indeed, for whatever reason, brownies always seem to taste better the day after they are made. I can't necessarily explain it, except for that they've obviously had time to cool down to room temperature by then (I find no benefits to hot brownies really--in fact it kind of annoys me when they're eaten with ice cream and the brownie starts to melt the ice cream. This is vastly different from my experiences eating vanilla ice cream with apple pie or apple crisp, both of which really need to be hot to be fully enjoyed).

The difficulty, of course, is that not many people make brownies so they can eat them the next day. In fact, in my house its a rarity when brownies even survive to the next day. If you can, though, try to take it as your rule to make your brownies a day ahead of time. Your eating experience will be sweeter, I assure you.

*Obviously I've mentioned elsewhere that I love Ghiradelli Triple Chocolate Brownies. I can't deny it. I'm just trying to say that on the whole I just plain enjoy a good brownie--the brand or particular ingredients don't matter (to an extent). This comes in stark contrast to my affinity for Breyer's vanilla ice cream. It is just so vastly superior to other brands that I have a hard time even mentioning it in the same paragraph because it almost seems like a different food altogether.

1 comment:

R* said...

Hi - this is Michelle's old roommate Rachel. She added the link to your blog in the last email "newsletter" and so I explored a little today - I like it!

RE: Breyers natural vanilla. I agree with you completely. When my younger sister was maybe 3, she used to rattle off the ingredients like bullets. "It's milkcreamsugarnaturalvanillaflavorwithrealvanillabeanspecks!" Then there came a time when my mom made a custard-style vanilla ice cream for 4th of July. Lindsey was devastated. "MOM! that's NOT how you MAKE it! Do you need me to tell you the recipe?"

Anyway, for your sake, I desist. Tell Michelle I said hi please!