Thursday, August 25, 2005

To Infinity and Beyond

Our friends Matt and Shelly only a few hours ago left our home after visiting a few days. I am happy to recommend them as house guests, though you may want to hide your Cinnamon Life and Settlers of Cataan. You may also want to double check the trunk of your car before you leave to make sure no wallets have been left there.

With Matt and Shelly we made trips to Disneyland and Sea World (with free admission). It was my first time visiting both places,* and I'm happy to report pleasant experiences.

Disneyland was a particularly pleasant surprise. We started the day on the Matterhorn, and some Buzz Light Year Adventure, and from there to all of the major rides--including Space and Splash Mountain. Their express ticketing allows you to swipe your entry ticket at a terminal, thereby reserving your place at the front of the line later in the day. I cannot tell you how much more pleasurable theme parks are when you don't have to spend most of the day in line.

Jared met Pooh, Eeyore, and Tigger, protested vehemently when I would not let him row on a canoe trip, and was generally frightened on just about all of the rides we took him on [Michelle notes that he loved the Winnie The Pooh ride, though I wasn't there for that]. Just imagine sailing through the dark water underground for the "Pirates of the Carribean" ride with little Coots (that's Jared) clinging to my chest, peaking out every so often to see the pirates sing "Yo ho, Yo ho, a pirates life for me!" only to bury himself again until he was brave enough to peek out once more.

I actually won't mind returning there when we do, though its contigent on being able to look past spending $30 on a pizza [and ignoring the fact that $30 outside of Disneyland would have gotten me 6 pizzas from Domino's]. We'll also likely skip the Pirates of the Carribean, and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (which isn't nearly as wild as they let on).

* Years ago my parents promised to take me to Disneyland (or Disneyworld) once each of my siblings was old enough to enjoy it. With my youngest brother just turning 10 I think I'm finally ready to collect on the promise. But Alas! If my bar studies taught me anything it's that contracts not capable of completion within a year must be in writing to be enforceable--and I did not get it in writing [lets not get into whether the promise was part of a contract or not].

No comments: