Thursday, August 04, 2005

Palmeiro and Steroids...Where's the Love?

I was as taken aback as anyone on Monday with the news that Rafael Palmeiro had tested positive for a banned substance and would be serving a 10 day suspension. I've never particularly cared for the guy, and wasn't happy with him a few years ago when he refused to waive his no-trade clause when with the Rangers to complete a deal that would've brought him to the Cubs. That said, I was watching the game when he got his 3000th hit (in ESPN HD no less), and I was glad for him. I did notice and remember thinking to myself at the time that his happiness for the moment seemed more forced than genuine--as if something else was on his mind. Of course, we now know he'd already been informed of the positive drug test and was in the process of an appeal.

What gets me about the situation isn't necessarily the positive drug test, but the media's response to it. My initial reaction was "I hope it's not true." And as I listened to his own prepared statement about never knowingly taking an illegal substance, I wanted to believe him--even if the rest of me had to remain skeptical. I wish I could say I sensed the same from the several sports pundits who've had opportunity to comment on it. Instead, what I've noticed more and more is an almost gleeful asassination of Palmeiro's character by most, who feign outrage and disgust at Palmeiro's apparent hypocrisy.

Now, I'll readily admit that the situation looks dire for Palmeiro, especially given the leak that the steroid he tested positive for was an especially "potent" steroid. This apparently is of the kind that won't accidentally find its way into a nutritional supplement, and the very same that Ben Johnson lost his gold medal for years ago. Given that, his story that he unknowingly took it into his body seems to probably either make him a liar or a fool. I hope he's telling the truth, but that's looking less and less likely.

That said, do commentators have to relish so much the opportunity to take him down? Do those people brandishing Palmeiro a cheat and a liar have to seem so excited when they do so? I don't deny that it probably has to be done (and should be done)--I just wish there was more lament by the people doing so, rather than a pitiable sense of vindication.

No comments: