Monday, March 05, 2007

Buffalo Chicken Blues

Perhaps you're not as easily taken in as I am, but then I'm not usually a sucker for hamburger commercials.

I found I could not resist, however, Carl's Jr.'s latest creation -- the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich. I wasn't fond of the commercial, mind you, but the sandwich seemed to offer a piece of the halcyon days of my youth, when a perfect weekend required little more than a good video game, a pizza, 50 wings, and a bottle or two of orange soda.*

My interest in the sandwich worked itself into a frenzy over the weekend when we got a coupon in the mail for a "buy one get one free."

Alas, what a tragic disappointment. One might have easily mistaken it for a McChicken sandwich drenched in Frank's Hot sauce. Yet at the same time they have so little confidence in their sauce and in the sandwich, that they feel the need to slather one side with a forgettable ranch sauce. The result is a dismal mess -- and not the kind of appetizing mess they'd lead you to believe.

So, learn to be wiser than I have been. Stay away from the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich at Carl's Jr. Stick with the pizza and wings.

*I grew up in a world where it was near unthinkable to order a pizza without an order of 50 or so chicken wings. The only question was how hot you wanted them. It was a simpler time.

2 comments:

Jamin LeFave said...

Thanks for the heads up. I thought about trying it. I have been spared the disappointment. Pizza and wings brings back fond memories. To bad the only decent place to get some is in NY.

Matt Astle said...

Just count your lucky stars that you even HAVE a Carl's Jr., Aaron. Out here in the East, the best we can muster is Arby's. Stick with the Western Bacon Cheeseburger or even the Famous Star (though you strike me more as a Six-Dollar Burger kind of guy) and you'll never go wrong.