Thursday, October 26, 2006

I Have Learned For Myself

Yesterday I tried sushi for the first -- and what I hope is the last -- time.

I went to lunch with great hopes.  My father, and several in the office, had spoken so highly of sushi that I did not hesitate when someone offered that we seek some out for lunch one afternoon.  Before going, however, I made sure of two things: (1) that I was going with someone who knew what they were doing and knew what to recommend; and (2) that we were going to a reputable sushi place.  I wanted to make sure that if I didn’t like sushi, there wouldn’t be any excuses.

Having assured myself of both of those things, we went. And alas, I don’t like sushi.  I tried mightily sampling the California roll several times – both with and without the wasabi/soy sauce mixture. I also tried the Rainbow roll and some eel thing.  My experience was that the wasabi was dreadful, and the sushi without the wasabi/soy sauce dip was tolerable, yet bland – certainly not worth spending my money on.

Afterward, I stopped at a fish taco place on the way back to work to try to feel better about my lunch.  It was hard, though, knowing I could’ve bought 20 bags of candy corn (or 10 bags of peanut M&Ms) for what I spent on that sushi.

No comments: