Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Lone Man

I am alone. Michelle and Jared left today to enjoy a few days in sunny Mesa, AZ to frolick with my father-in-law and his new wife. I'll join up with them on Saturday morning, though surely I'll miss out on most of the fun.

Which leaves me home alone. A few weeks ago I thought this was a good thing: I'd bill a few more hours (catching up from my illness earlier in the month), put in a few more miles on the exercise bike, and enjoy our king size bed to myself.

Ah, but it's not all a good thing. For one thing, when Michelle has left me in the past, my situation usually devolves into hours of surfing the internet, eating horribly, and staying up terribly late with the TV on to keep me company.

I'm not sure I can be strong this time.

And things haven't started well. It's true, I've somehow managed to resist making my daily trip to Ralph's (the grocery store across the street) to check over the day old bread rack and to find out if they've lowered the Easter candy to 75% off.

But I also happen to have Smallville season 2 on DVD, and I've been spending all of my free time the last two days. I'm not proud of this, but I feel powerless to stop it.

I fear things will only sink lower -- something tells me though, I'll likely burn through these DVDs by the time I leave for Mesa Saturday morning.

Hopefully, though, I'll find some half-price cinammon rolls or Cadbury Creme Eggs on the way down.

No comments: