Saturday, April 08, 2006

Coolest Birthday Ever

Michelle has made a habit of making my birthday special. Yesterday was no exception.

I awoke, went out to the kitchen, and found two loaves of coffee cake waiting for me by the stove with a note saying "Happy Birthday!" and the beginnings of a list of 28 things that Michelle and Jared love about me. I got Jared up a little later. When I told him it was my birthday, he told me he'd made me a card. And then he said "Daddy's birthday out dere!" "Where?" I said. "On da uda side!"

I got Jared out of his crib and he ran out to the living room. When I got there he put his hands up and said "Where's Daddy's birthday?"

At work, my secretary brought me a bin of goodies, including some chocolate covered almonds, pistachio cookies, chocolate wafers, and cranberry juice. I had not expected that, nor for her to waltz into my office singing "Happy Birthday To You" while the rest of the floor looked in, confused. I was both embarrassed and flattered.

For lunch, Michelle and Jared made a surprise visit to work bringing both In N Out burgers and root beer floats. Jared is always delighted to visit and look out my window at the 405 Freeway. The secretaries are usually just as delighted to see him.

For Dinner, Michelle cooked up steaks and oven fries, and then presented me with my birthday cake: A giant half moon cookie. For those of you unfamiliar with the half moon cookie, I fear you have not lived. It was accompanied, of course, by vanilla ice cream. Honestly, though, the only thing a good half-moon cookie needs is air to help the frosting crust over, and a nice glass of milk.

Jared helped me open my presents. For the record I got: A Superman T-shirt (I have been wanting one of these for ages but either (1) couldn't find them or (2) always felt to fat to wear one. I also got the 1st Season of Smallville (apparently a very guilty pleasure of mine), and Kingdom Hearts II.

It was an amazing birthday, where I was privy to kindness I did not deserve and entreated to enough sweets to set my weight loss goals back two weeks.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Half-moon cookies (as you call them) are the greatest. But they are really called "black and white" cookies. Who could forget the time Jerry Seinfeld raved about them -

"Uhm, The thing about eating the Black and White cookie, Elaine, is you want to get some black and some white in each bite. Nothing mixes better than vanilla and chocolate And yet somehow racial harmony eludes us. If people would only look to the cookie all our problems would be solved."

Happy birthday, Aaron. Welcome to the 28 Club.