Monday, December 12, 2005

My First Court Appearance

Friday evening, a partner called me at home and asked me to show up for him in the Central District Court in LA today. It was for a status conference.

I made my way there this morning without a hitch, though it took me 45 minutes to find parking four blocks away.

The key to making a court appearance, which I learned by chance at the Christmas party Friday night, is to bring a business card with the party (parties) you represent written on the back.

I never let on to opposing counsel it was my first appearance, though I wonder if it wasn't already obvious. The judge let me say all of two words, but ended up agreeing with me anyway the more opposing counsel kept talking.

On the way home I was so happy that I decided to get into a car accident. Stop and Go Traffic Southbound on the 5, I glanced over at a big right pulled over on the right, only to look back and find there wasn't enough room between me and the lights in front of me to stop. I imagine I was going 10-15 miles an hour. The other guy came out holding his neck gingerly. We exchanged information, I resisted the urge to apologize, and we waited nearly an hour for the CHP to arrive.

They never did. A local policeman came by, inquired as to whether any of us needed medical attention, and then told us we could leave if we wanted since no one was hurt.

I've spent the rest of the day feeling like an idiot. (Resist the urge to make a wise crack about that not being uncommon and you've got a friend for life).

No comments: