Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Honeymoon is Over

December 1st was an important day in several respects.* For one, it signaled the beginning of the firm's new billing year, meaning that I'm now responsibile for meeting the firms yearly billing requirements--1950 hours. Up until now, I haven't really had any targets to hit, just some vague level of acceptability. That was nice while it lasted.

This morning I was already feeling pressure wondering how easily I'll be able to meet with what's required of me at work and home and church. I'm not feeling so stressed this evening, but I sense that the terrible billable hour will always be looming somewhere in my consciousness. We'll see how well I'm able to live with that.

Also today, though, I was sworn in before the California State bar, and also admitted to practice before the Central District Court. Michelle and Jared came to the ceremony, held at the Hyatt in Orange. A few attorneys spoke begging us to join the various bar associations. A few appellate judges spoke on lofty topics that no one would remember 15 minutes following. As our names were read, we stood and then collectively took an oath whereby we swore to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the State of California and to be zealous and just advocates for our clients. It was actually a nice moment, and I'm glad I took the time out of my day (getting me behind already in my billables) to attend.

Now that I'm sworn in, I can sign my name to court documents and make court appearances. I can also now get sued for malpratice.

All in all an eventful day. Someday hopefully I'll get into a routine I'm comfortable with.


* I wasn't sure where to mention this, didn't think it was appropriate to post on by itself, but wanted to mention that a friend of ours in our ward was in a serious car accident yesterday that has caused serious trauma to his brain. He's in an induced coma now and for the next few weeks as they try to let the brain swell and heal. We will not know until then what kind of damage has been done. Bret is not much older than I am with a sweet wife and daughter a little older than Jared. Just about all car accidents are sudden and unexpected, though this one has rended our heart strings. We've had them over, and even ate dinner with them on Halloween before taking our kids trick-or-treating together (and I've coveted his HUMONGOUS TV since I first laid eyes on it). Our thoughts and prayers are with Brett and his family.

No comments: