Sunday, November 06, 2005

Dear Santa Claus

Dear Santa Claus,

It seemed prudent this year to post my letter to you on my blog. Hopefully you're an avid reader. I figure this will save me the costs of postage, and also give me witnesses (assuming you are not the only reader) who can attest to my requests if you and I ever have a contractual dispute that arises out of these requests. It's safer for everyone this way, really.

It might be a little early to be sending you my list this year, but then again my list is long, and if you're not gonna get me some of the stuff on my list, then you need to coordinate with my wife and family. This way they'll know just how much money they need to save, or what size loan they need to take out, to meet the rest of my demands. Oh, I mean requests.

Hopefully I needn't say too much to remind you how good I've been this year. My wife and son have given me high marks as a husband and father respectively. You can also just ask any of my siblings and I'm sure they'll tell you I'm their favorite, and not just because I married Michelle (except, apparently, for Bryan. He'll come around).

Let's see... this year too I graduated from law school without managing to get a "C" in any of my classes the last semester. I've kept my room clean (though Michelle sometimes makes this impossible. A lump of coal in her stocking might teach her.). I've also been diligent about taking the trash out and doing the dishes. Hmmm....I 've also lost about 4o lbs. this year, so that has to merit some kind of reward. I'm sure you've got all of this and more documented anyway.

So with that in mind, here's my list. They're not in any particular order, but that shouldn't matter because I'm sure you'll find a way to get me everything on it:

Lob Wedge: If I can point to any particular problems in my golf game, it's my chipping. A lob wedge would make this much easier (Please remember, too, Santa that I'm a LEFT HANDED golfer).

Golf Lessons: While we're on the subject of golf, why not just throw in some lessons for me at a nearby golf course?

Some Snazzy Golf Shoes: These would help improve my traction on the golf course AND help me look stylish. It's a win win situation here.

Twlight Zone Seasons 3 AND 4: You should know, Santa, that I'm one of the biggest fans of the old black and white Twilight Zone series hosted by Rod Serling. Earlier in the year I got seasons 1 and 2, but now seasons 3 and 4 are also out, and I need them to be a part of my DVD collection.

Smallville Seasons 1-4: Another set of DVDs I'd be interested in owning, but actually these kind I'm only interested in because I've never seen them. In all honesty, Santa, what I'd do if you gave me these would be to watch them through, and then probably sell them on Amazon or half.com for other DVDs or Video Games. I don't even know if I'll like the series, but I'm interested in dabbling. This gift makes such dabbling possible.

Mormon Tabernacle Choir CDs: Just that fact that I want some Mormon Tabernacle Choir CDs, Santa, should illustrate to you how good I've been this year. We were already given one by my father in law, "Love is Spoken Here," which is wonderful. We've heard there are others, though, like "Behold the Lilies of the Field" that we want to add to our collection.

PDA/Cell Phone: It's true, Santa, our T-mobile contract expires in December, and we want to switch over to Cingular and take advantage of "Roll Over Minutes" (especially after last month's debacle where inadvertent overages cost us far more than we're contented to pay). As part of switching over, I want to get a PDA cell phone, so that I don't have to carry two separate devices in my pocket (3 if I'm sporting my Ipod as well). I've been wanting a PDA for ages, and actually have some money set aside to purchase one as part of my weight loss prize money. If you want to make the purchase for me, though, then I can use that money for something else more frivolous.

New Brown Shoes: I know, I know, Santa. You probably saw me get some new brown shoes last year. They're just not stylish enough for me these days, though, what with me being an attorney now. I want some that are shiny, that can be polished. The ones I have now can't be. PLUS, they squeak like crazy on the floor surface outside the elevators where I work.

Pay Off My Student Loans: I needn't rehearse to you the benefits of making my student loans disappear. Just know that I'd really appreciate it.

New (Cool looking) Sneakers: The sneakers I have now are certainly functional, but the bottoms on them are smoothing out enough that I can almost skate across asphalt. Remember, Santa, that I like sneakers that are predominantly white, but not flashy. Some new running sneakers or tennis sneakers would probably be ideal.

A new Baseball/Softball Glove: When I left on my mission in 1997, I had a glove. When I came home in 1999, it was gone. Its disappearance is shrouded in mystery, though forensic evidence suggests one of my siblings stole it. Probably Matthew, which may be why he was sent to Mongolia. It could have been one of my sisters as well (or all of them) who were playing softball for a few years there. It could also have been Bryan, who apparently does things to me purely out of spite. However it happened, it's gone, and I'd like another one to play softball with and eventually play catch with my son. Remember, Santa, I throw with my right hand, and it's a BIG hand.

Digital Video Camera: After seeing the Kjelstroms cool digital video camera yesterday, I decided we need to upgrade our analog one. This would make the editing process for such videos easier. It would also make the videos crisper when being transferred. If you want some direction on this, let me know. I'm here to help you help me.

New Electric Razor: My mother-in-law was quite kind after Michelle and I got married in giving me a Norelco Electric Razor. It has served me well, but now I'm feeling inclings for a newer model.

Star Wars DVDs: I was reminded yesterday just how bad the dialogue of the Episode III is, so by this request please don't think I'm referring to Episodes I, II, or III. No, I'm interested in owning the first three DVDs, though remember, Santa, that with my new TV we're best served by the "Widescreen" versions. These would probably be cheapest on half.com or amazon.com. If you're not getting them used, then you're probably wasting money you could be using to buy me other presents.

Batman Begins Soundtrack: You know I'm a sucker for movie scores, which have even more value to me now that Michelle and I have dabbled in movie making.

New Dress Shirts/Business Casual Shirts: With all of the weight I've lost this year (and about 20 more lbs to go) my shirts aren't fitting me so well these days. I'm always in need for some cotton long sleeve white shirts, but also of other colors (maybe even short sleeve too) size XLT. I've also discarded most of my polo shirts, so if there's a nice XL polo you're thinking of, it might be nice.

Framed Diploma/Office Pictures: Somehow getting my diplomas framed and my office decorating has gotten lost in the shuffle of things to do. I'd like to be able to hang them in my office, along with a nice picture or two.


So, Santa, before I close I just want to make it clear this is not meant to be an exhaustive list. I've been good enough this year to merit at least twice the number of presents I have listed. I just don't want to take all of the fun out of finding something I'm dying to have that I just don't know I want yet. As my brother Matthew so boldly asked regarding his birthday presents, I invite you to be generous.

Thanks, Santa, we'll be sure to leave some nice cookies for you on the mantle this year.

Truly Yours,

Aaron


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

your not my favorite brother

Aaron Clark said...

Interesting. Also interesting that you wouldn't leave your name. Do you really think Santa, or I for that matter, won't be able to figure out who wrote this.

I'm going to make sure you pay dearly, Bryan.

Anonymous said...

are you sure you don't need a sand wedge?