Sunday, June 15, 2008

A New Hope [For San Diego Donuts]


Just about two weeks ago now Michelle and a friend took the kids a few miles north to Escondido, CA for a visit to the Wild Animal Park. Since I had to work that day, I gave her an assignment to visit Peterson's Donut Corner and bring home a few donuts to sample. The results of her efforts are depicted above.

Now, I admittedly handicapped these donuts a bit, since I didn't get to pick them out, and I didn't get to taste them fresh from the bakery. What I did taste when I got home, though, were come creative, and quality donuts.

The maple bar was by far the largest I've ever sampled. [In fact, I'd say it comes near to being double the size of the standard maple bar.] The frosting isn't typical either, as it has more of a cake frosting type consistency. I found this especially pleasant after the frosting had time to crust over on the outer layer. It was fantastic.

The huge glazed bar pictured was also a delightful original. You see, wedged within that donut is a layer of cinammon. It's also huge.

The buttermilk and old fashioned chocolate donut were also very good, though the glazed was typical and forgettable.

I'm so delighted by the prospect of quality donuts from Peterson's that I'm actively looking for reasons to make the 50 mile roundtrip to taste more of their fare [and closer to the time they're made too].

3 comments:

David said...

So was this Episode IV?

Michaeljneal said...

As an escondido Native I would have to say you have stumbled upon one of the few jewels of that town. I am in no way a doughnut connoisseur but they did have some pretty good maple bars.

Kar said...

I was checking Michelle's blog, hoping that she had recently posted, and she hadn't, and I glimpsed at your name on the left side of her page. So I clicked on, remembering that once I read your blog and laughed so hard that I peed my pants. Okay, not really. Anyways, I love reading your posts! So I'm going to visit often. I hope you don't mind. This is Michelle's old visiting teach-ee from the La Mesa 2nd Ward. I live in Idaho now, and I desperately miss my SD friends. :)