Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Ask and Ye Shall Receive

I have some exciting news.  No, Michelle hasn’t delivered yet (though she’s due Sunday).  This is actually more exciting: I’ve hit the jackpot with Peanut M&Ms!

Last week I made my way to my local Ralphs.  After finding nothing worth investing in on the day old rack, I wandered the isles looking for deals.  Lo and behold, hidden on the bottom shelf at the end of an isle was a treasure trove of “Pirates of the Carribean M&Ms” that apparently have not been selling well! They were at 50% off.

Despite the oddity of having to discount merchandise for a movie that hasn’t even come out yet, I was thrilled.  I ended up buying 4 – 14 oz. bags of Peanut M&Ms last week at an unheard of $1.49 a bag (just about 11 cents an ounce).  The only catch (and the reason why they’re not selling), the M&Ms only come in different shades of yellow.  The M&Ms are titled “Captain’s Gold” also has a picture of Captain Jack Sparrow on the bag. (I would be interested to know if this guy who decided this would be a neat marketing idea still has a job.)  As it turns out, apparently yellow M&Ms don’t sell that well by themselves.  They needed a home, and I wasn’t about to turn them away.

But the heartwarming story doesn’t end there.  I stopped by Ralph’s this evening on my way home from work  to pick up some French bread (for French bread pizza).  I thought I’d check up on my little yellow friends and found, to my great joy, they were now reduced to 75% off!  It took only a moment to decide, and really the only decision was “Do I buy the rest of the box or not?” In the end, I purchased an additional 8 – 14 oz. bags of Peanut M&Ms at an astonishing 74 cents a bag.

These indeed are prosperous times, and I’m sure Jared will be more than happy to share some “Captain’s Gold” with his baby sister when she arrives.  

1 comment:

Matt Astle said...

Hidden treasure, indeed! Good luck with the new arrival!