Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Totally Ticked

I own a Totally Awesome Computer. That's the brand name, not a description of the computer.

I bought the computer three years ago from the UT company. At the time, I'd priced out some cheaper Dell models (much cheaper) but was persuaded to spend the extra money because Totally Awesome Computers promised a lifetime service warranty with their computers.

Last week, unbeknownst to me, Super Dell Schanze, whose persona in his ridiculous commercials apparently wasn't an act, decided to shut down his stores. Blaming the downfall of his company on the Utah media, he proceeded to call them all "Liars", "Murderers", and "Angels of Satan."

This would've been mildly interesting (in the morbid way train wrecks are interesting) were it not for my personal stake in the matter. With Totally Awesome Computers shutting down, my "Lifetime" service warranty is in jeopardy. For the moment PC Laptops has decided to honor the warranty, but this could change at any time.

So I ended up paying a premium three years ago for a computer from a company promising a Lifetime warranty that didn't even last as long as the warranty I would've had with a cheaper Dell computer.

I'm angry enough about it right now that I'm contemplating a lawsuit, likely a class action lawsuit on behalf of all TAC customers, the moment my warranty is not honored (and perhaps even sooner--since the peace of mind I purchased with that warranty has been upended by the threat of loosing that warranty at any time).

Obviously, the BIG question is--does the company folding terminate the contract and relieve it of its promise? or is TAC in breach? Is there even room for an argument?

If there is, Super Dell may have more to worry about than demonic journalists or Riverton road ragers (upon whom he allegedly brandished a concealed weapon).

2 comments:

Matt Astle said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't TOA a Utah-only company? How could they have honored your lifetime warranty anyway with you living in Massachusetts and California? Certainly they're not going to fly a technician out to peep into your hard drive. Would they have paid a local technician?

Aaron Clark said...

It was a Utah only company. However, I bought it while in MA--and they were more than happy to promise me a lifetime warranty. It just meant I had to either bring the computer in or mail it to them (or when I had questions that could be resolved over the phone--have them guide me through it).