Friday, March 24, 2006

Death By Chicken

Michelle and I are part of a Friday night baby-sitting co-op. This means that every fifth Friday night we watch five kids at our house (including Jared). The rest of the Fridays one of the other couples babysits the kids for three hours

Given the time and opportunity, lots of people would probably want to go out to a nice dinner on a date. I, on the other hand, wanted to take the money we would've spent eating out and buy $25-30 worth of cookies. We'd then take them home and see how many we can eat by 9 p.m. I fought hard for that idea, but Michelle just wasn't quite prepared for it. One of these days I'm going to make it happen.

Instead, we traveled to the nether parts of Santa Ana to find some dirt cheap Mexican food and patronize a nearby Walmart. Little did we know we were traveling to the land of chicken lovers.

We got to the taqueria and were amazed. When you're eating dirt cheap Mexican, any dish entitled "Death by Chicken" has to inspire both shock and awe. You really can't be sure whether they're referring to salmonella poisoning or just a whole lotta chicken, but you realize you'll never forgive yourself if you don't give it a try.*

Afterward we want to Walmart and I prevailed in buying $4 worth of chocolate chip cookies--both the Chips Ahoy Chunky Chips and Keebler Rainbow (with the fake M&Ms). I was only going to buy one bag, but then I thought I'd think outside the box and buy two--even though I had no possible use for another bag. It's that kind of unpredictability that I think Michelle would probably say she loves most about me.

*There actually wasn't any dish called "Death By Chicken" but oh how I wish there was. I actually told Michelle this afternoon that this was the name of the signature dish at the place we were going to--which, despite the fact that we were only talking IM, had us both laughing hysterically. ( I just love the thought of some restaurant putting chicken on the same level as chocolate). I never quite made it clear to Michelle, though, that I'd made it up. That made for even more laughs this evening when she confessed she'd been looking for the dish on the menu but couldn't find it. And yes, she's going to kill me for sharing that.

No comments: