Sunday, October 09, 2005

Birthday Cake Wishes for Michelle

Tomorrow will mark a year from the day that I ruined Michelle's birthday.

As others will tell it, last year in Cambridge we had some friends over for Michelle's birthday to share in cheesecake and ice cream, and even play a board game or two. The cheesecake was fine, the ice cream was good, but when it came to games I wasn't terribly interested in playing what the birthday girl wanted to play (Cranium). Apparently I was crotchety enough that some of our friends almost felt to reprimand me, and it was enough to ruin an otherwise pleasant evening.

I've spent the year repenting of my misdeeds, and hope to make tomorrow doubly pleasant for Michelle, even if (gulp) that means playing Cranium. It would help if we still had the company of our Cambridge friends, though now we are in Irvine and they are in other parts of the world. It might take awhile for us to not miss them in such moments, if that ever happens. I keep trying to convince Michelle that if the ice cream and cake are good enough*, the company doesn't matter, but she isn't convinced. I suppose I have trouble believing that too.

So Happy Birthday Michelle. May your 26th year not be your last, and hopefully bring you at least half as much of the happiness you deserve. If my presence in your life detracts from that in anyway, well, then you knew what I was when you picked me up.

*I actually convinced Michelle to go with the "All American Chocolate Cake" this year from Costco, and picked one up Friday evening. At $14.99, the cake is a monster of chocolate cake and chocolate butter cream frosting. As luck would have it, I brought it home only to find that Michelle had not consented to the beast that lay before her, but instead imagined it as one of the chocolate bundt cakes they sell (at half the price no less). She couldn't hide her disappointment. (She's open about not caring much for the traditional heavily frosted cakes). For a moment I shared her disappointment, then I seized the opportunity to declare the cake my own (which I have since regretted with each subsequent piece eaten this weekend) and left it to her to decide what she wants to share with everyone Monday evening.

3 comments:

Matt Astle said...

I can't recall precisely. Was this the evening you hid your frog food, or was that a different crotchety occasion?

Aaron Clark said...

Um, that would be a different evening.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Michelle!!!! I tried to call, but couldn't get you. I'll try later. I hope you are having a wonderful day and I hope you make Aaron play TWO games of Cranium with you to make up for last year! I miss you tons. I hope your birthday is a fraction as lovely as you are! Love ya tons, Natalee Maynes