Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Long December

Nearly six months ago now as I set about mapping my New Year's Resolutions, I decided to be bold: Though I'd managed only a handful of postings in 2009, I resolved to blog weekly here in the coming year.
.
.
Now here we are nearing June, and I haven't got a word or a picture to my name.
.
.
Back when I started this blog in 2005, there was no Facebook (at least that I was aware of) that offered the chance for pithy quips to instantly update my connected friends on all of my comings and goings. Blogging itself was still relatively novel (though en vogue enough that I felt some of the "you don't want to make it look like you're following the crowd even though you are" internal resistance). As I've noted before, I started this blog then because I wanted to connect better with family and friends, and because I wanted the challenge of exposing some of my thoughts and writings in a public, somewhat permanent, medium. Facebook seems to satisfy most of the former now, though, and lately I've had so much less energy or interest in the latter.
.
.
Additionally, the fact that my posts have grown more sparse in recent years seems to be indicative of a few things. For one, I've felt like I've been running out of material. After all, there's only so much traction one can get out of a Peanut M&M, sugar cookie, Breyer's ice cream, Oreo cookie, donut, and half-priced holiday candy fetish. There seems to be less need, too, for simply posting pictures and relating the family's most recent silliness. Maybe not, though.
.
.
For those thoughts and ideas that have stretched beyond the trivial or self-depricating, I've also noticed growing increasingly more cautious about sharing them in this setting.
.
.
Maybe it's not just this setting, though. Maybe those thoughts and ideas I might have otherwise been inclined to share over the years have themselves become more cautious. And there isn't much traction or material in a cautious approach to the world, either.
.
.
Maybe experience has just made me more tentative.
.
.
Whatever the case may be, I'm not about to abandon this blog. I am, after all, just getting around to starting my New Year's Resolutions. I will be more diligent here, and we'll see where that leads. Whether that diligence gives way to more devoted thoughts on donuts, cinnamon rolls, and agonizing weight gain, or whether perhaps it leads something more dangerous, who can tell? I can assure you, however, that it will give way to something more than the silence of these past six months.

5 comments:

Christopher said...

Welcome back! After such an extended and unfortunate hiatus, your readership will undoubtedly be most gratified to indulge in, and ravenously consume your delightful musings and pontifications.

Jamin LeFave said...

Looking forward to your words of wisdom and insight. Don't abandon your fans!

Jamin LeFave said...

Looking forward to your insight and words of wisdom. Don't abandon your fans!

Nichole said...

Good, It'd be great to have you back! Your blog always made me laugh and it's been a long time since the Milkshake contest!!!

Aaron Clark said...

I wasn't aware I had comment moderation turned on -- and that they don't necessarily email you when there are comments to moderate. That's been fixed.