Saturday, February 11, 2006

Home Again, At Last!

I arrived home yesterday from the Oakland area with little fanfare, at least compared to two weeks ago when I was supposed to be coming home for good. It is nice to be home, and hopefully to be done (for real) this time.

We celebrated my arrival last night with a family party, which for the Clarks simply meant watching Toy Story 2 (Jared calls it the "Red Toy Story" since the DVD cover is Red) with some Finding Nemo Fruit Snacks. Afterward, since Monk was a rerun, we tried suffering through John Stossel's 20/20 investigation on 20 common myths and misconceptions (e.g. Gas isn't really that expensive! Some people are really rude with cell phones!). It didn't take long for us to realize sleep was the better option.

Tonight Jared wanted to play with Legos. I got them out and then asked what he wanted me to build. I was envisioning a grandiose tower using all available Lego pieces. Jared, however, had other ideas. He responded enthusiastically "Monkey!"

So here it is:

I have to say, give my limited artistic background and rudimentary tools, I was more than moderately pleased. In fact, I defy anyone to create a finer monkey with a similar set of Legos.

Jared waited a few moments before destroying. Apparently even he was in awe.

I then asked him what he wanted me to build next. He seemed to be working on a tower, so I thought he might want some help.

"Elephant!" came another enthusiastic response, and I was beside myside.

But something deeper inside me would not be denied.

I was asked once in high school by a sports reporter with an agenda what it was like to be "in the zone." As I stood there, with cameras rolling, I wanted to scratch my head at the question and respond sarcastically (since my shot selection rarely strayed from 6 ft. from the basket)*.

Tonight I might have been able to tell him.

The Legos spoke to me and told me how they should be arranged. I was merely their instrument. Truly the work was greater than the sum of its parts. A few more nights like this and I may be ready to leave the legal profession. A few more assignments like my last one and I surely will.

But, yes, I'm elated to have the company of my wife and son once more.

*According to recent reports, this was apparently one of those rare moments when I kept myself from saying what I really thought.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who's telling you that you rarely refrain from saying what you think! Why, you are one of the most soft-spoken people I know. Rest assured, when I find whoever is spreading such falsehoods, I'll tell them WHAT I THINK! Natalee Maynes

Matt Astle said...

I can't quite see from that picture--does the monkey have a tail? If not, he's an ape, not a monkey, and you've been teaching your son falsehoods. The elephant is nice, though.